Sunday 2 March 2014

#purple army

I was supposed to go to a hen party - 80's theme, in a local hall, but this week I got ANOTHER abscess, in a tooth that we haven't had 'on the plans'. So to cheer me up, I booked us tickets to go see Braehead Clan Ice Hockey, they were playing Edinburgh Capitals.
I tried to get tickets near my friends who go, but no seats were left for that section.
We got to Braehead nice and early, picked up our tickets at the box office and made our way through, through to a small merchandise area, a small rollover hotdog stand, some raffle sellers and a 'food/drinks' area. They sold nachos , small tubs of Pringles and the share packs of maltesers, skittles etc, the drinks consisted of beer, cider, coke and £1.50 for a bottle of water.
We had a look at the merchandise on offer, t-shirts, replica tops, teddys, all-in-ones, bags, laptop bags and a few smaller items.

We had discussed in the car on the way up, that if we seen anything we liked, we would find out how much it costs and then IF we liked the game, then if we go back again, we could then buy something.
Lyle spotted the clan teddy with its Clan top on and really wanted one "to hug into when cold and also to use as a pillow in the car on the way home" (I forgot to bring the pillow pet/blanket as it was to be a late one home). I stuck to what I had said in the car and we left with no fuss.

We headed to our seats, section C row K .
We were the second row of the
Top tier (only 2 tiers, even at the top the seats are good).
We thought we could see everything, almost at the centre line, good clear view of both goals.

The place went dark. People brought out their mobiles and put on a purple screen, the players started to come out.

Lyle did not like this. He does not like loud noises, changes that he is not aware of, gets genuinely petrified of change, goes all white and clammy. I think if I was to get him tested he would rank low on an aspergers type test.

The lights came back on and we all stood to sing one verse of the Scottish National song 'Flower of Scotland' then the game began.

Across from us the people sang songs, clapped hands and generally looked like ther were having fun. All around us, no one sang, no one joined in clapping, no one done the Mexican Wave. 1st play finished and my friend txt to say seats infront of her was free, so we moved over there. Lyles interest on the game picked up from then on, we could see the 'dug outs' , see the players come off and on, we could see the whole arena from these seats. Lyle joined in with the chants and claps, even shouting 'come on the clan' on his own.

After the game ended - we won 2-1, we went down stairs as went skating, getting to meet all the players from the Clan, get autographs and pictures taken. Got to say, that was fab! I was wobbly skating, well it has been about 15 years since I last skated. Lyle was terrified but he done great.

He asked repeatedly to go back, but not to skate.
He fell asleep on the way home, happy.

This morning I booked us in for the last game of the season.

Some meet the Clan pics with my friends kids too.

No comments:

Post a Comment